The Brunswick Downtown Development Authority (DDA) works to assure the long-term stability of Downtown Brunswick by promoting economic growth and community activities to bring people downtown and to preserve and enhance the district character of its port city. Main Street Brunswick and the Brunswick Downtown Development Authority work as two organizations in one. They are committed to the economic development, historic preservation and beautification of Brunswick’s core commercial areas.
History & Overview of the Brunswick Downtown Development Authority
Founded in 1771, Brunswick, Georgia, has long been on the map for regional growth. Brunswick’s busy and historic downtown has been instrumental to city, county and regional development enabling expansion in government, business, agriculture, education and residential living.
The Brunswick DDA was activated in 1981. Brunswick was declared a Main Street City in 1986 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, a movement built on the knowledge that a prosperous, sustainable community is only as healthy as its core. Since its launch, the DDA has worked with Main Street Brunswick and the local business community to make Brunswick and the Golden Isles an exceptional Place in Georgia to live, work, and visit by strengthening the communities and enhancing the quality of life.
Services provided by the Brunswick Downtown Development Authority
The Brunswick DDA offers services to those looking to start a business in the downtown area. They help businesses locate a property, navigate the business license process, and can even help with guidance in the building rehabilitation process. The DDA also offers grants for launching a business and growing a business as well as incentivizes business growth and historic preservation. Lastly, it provides promotional efforts for all businesses.
- Jump Start Grant – a grant that helps with startup costs for retail companies
- Facade Grant – a reimbursement matching grant for restoring and preserving historic properties in compatibility with the downtown area’s character
- Civic Improvement Project Grant – The historic plaque program offers an opportunity for owners of local historic landmarks and contributing properties within the local historic districts to visually identify their structures as historic with a hand-cast bronze plaque.
- Advertising in the downtown insert
- Boosting social media posts
- Electronic billboard ad space
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony promotions